Monday, August 26, 2013

A little personal insight

If you could go anywhere, where would that be - the shop down the street, your favorite restaurant, a cruise, a foreign country, space or another planet? I am talking about really pushing boundaries here. From a writers perspective, doing an exercise like this gets the creative juices flowing. But thinking about how far you would push yourself if it were an option is something more people should think about. What would you do if you weren't scared to try? Since I am a Star Wars fan, I will quote Yoda here: "Do or do not. There is no try."

I've been on some cruises and I went to England on my own after college for two wonderful weeks. I don't enjoy flying but have flown alone and with a child. So, would I push myself and go to space? Maybe a visit would be nice, although that height thing might really bother me from outside the atmosphere!

Not sure why I asked myself this morning. But it's worth thinking about. How often do we contemplate the doing something out of our comfort zone? I have friends who don't travel because of the fear of getting lost. But to me, getting lost can be part of the adventure. We have such a safe society (relatively speaking) that I understand why there are the thrill seekers who bungee jump, climb mountains, participate in extreme sports, and so on. It's to feel alive. How often in regular every day life to we feel that sense of thrill or excitement? Most days the most exciting thing to happen to us is to avoid hitting something with the car.

All I'm saying is this - push yourself. Consider trying something that frightens you. Not that terrifying thing that would cause you to hide under your bed like a small child. But a small thing that is just a little frightening. You'll feel better for it. You might discover something of yourself. At least you'll know if you can push your limits farther or if staying safe is your ideal. Get out of the comfort zone once or twice and you might just surprise yourself. I've done it. I drove across the country with just my daughter and a cat and I enjoyed the trip. Yes, there were boring stretches and times I didn't want to think of getting back in the car. But it was an experience and I saw things and places I might not ever have seen.