Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Why not?

I want to write book and am asked why. Why not?

I want to be in a band and am asked why. Why not?

And then I think, why are these things I want to do? They make me happy. That's why.

So I am working on a book - a few, actually. I was in a band and would like to do it again. I am a flute player (I need to practice more, but then again, who doesn't?) and was part of a flute choir and that was a great experience I want to do again. I was a ballroom dance instructor for Arthur Murray. I was taught to dance and got paid for it. I was asked why before I got the job. And my answer was why not? I danced when I was young - I took ballet, tap, and jazz lessons from a Rockette from about age 8 to age 13. And I realize now that I should have kept dancing. It made me happy.

I kept at my flute even though I wasn't the best player in school - I actually was last chair in the high school band. But you know what? I bet I'm one of the few who still plays because I still enjoy it. I have always enjoyed it. It makes me happy. And why not?

I started making my own jewelry because I got a thrill from it. Again, why not?

Why can't I do these things if they make me happy. I have dropped friends because they didn't make me happy. I married a wonderful man because he did. Why are these things acceptable but trying new things and putting ourselves out there isn't?

Here's me: I am writing a children's book for my daughter. Two of my fantasy novels need to be edited and reworked. I have a spy thriller type novel that I have to rewrite after discovering that it just doesn't work in its current phase. As for accomplishments, I am not published but have attempted NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) in 2004, 2006, 2007 and 2008 and actually reached my goal of 50,000 words in 30 days in 2004, 2006, and 2007.

My brother had a garage/basement band and I was lead singer. We were called Immortal Distortion and performed (mostly at home but there was one Battle of the Bands) in the late 1990s.

In Baltimore, I was part of a flute choir called Flutopia. Great experience and have had trouble trying to find another group of flute players to join, both in Florida and now here in California.

For two years I taught Arthur Murray (like I said above). I probably wouldn't be a ballroom dancer if it weren't for my time there. My husband and I still do video events for my former boss, so I am still connected to them even though I don't dance much any more. I do miss it.

And with our move to California from Florida, I left my craft room behind so don't have my supplies to make new items. But I hope to be getting back into that soon. I enjoyed it and it gave me some time to myself.

So if you are ever asked Why you are doing something, simply turn around and reply, why not? If it makes me happy, why not!