Friday, May 7, 2010

What do I want?

So I've watched "The Women" and "Julie and Julia" and have asked myself the questions "What do I want?"

I come up with all sorts of answers. I want to open a ballroom where anyone can go to dance, maybe offer some lessons, but mostly just a place to socialize and dance. Then I want to write a novel. Nothing earth-shattering, just my words on paper, published. Then I want to have a small shop selling jewelry, not necessarily my simple pieces, but something whimsical and fun. And last I want to be a performer, maybe with other flute players or maybe singing in a band again.

So then I looked back at what I have done from this list:
* I was a singer in a band - it was my brother's band, and we only played one gig at a high school. We mostly played in the basement or the garage. And the music was all covers, we never did perform anything of our own that I can remember.
* I have been in a flute choir - that was lots of fun, playing at retirement communities and malls and such, just to have the pleasure of performing for other people.
* Then I have written "novels" in the NaNoWriMo. They never seem to get anywhere but I have done it. More than once I might add.
* I was a ballroom dance instructor with Arthur Murray for 2 years and still dance, though not as often as I'd like. It's difficult to go out and dance since hubby doesn't dance (yet) but we still go out, though not since we've moved since there isn't a plain ballroom here.
* And finally I make my own jewelry. It's beading and I want to expand a little into simple handbags and bridal accessories, but I am happy with my creations and can hope that other people find them interesting, too.

So that's what I've done and want to do. I'm looking back over the past 10 years since my hubby and I are celebrating our 10th anniversary this summer. I really have done everything I wanted to do as a child. I wanted to be a dancer - and hey, I did that. I wanted to be an actress - I did that, maybe only in local Philly music videos, but I did it. I have written a novel, though none have been published (yet - I will keep saying that). And I was in a band and am a musician, so I really have done what I wanted to do. I don't make a living doing any of them, I stay at home with my little girl. But I don't feel like I missed out. But I'm at a point when I want to do more.

So I'm looking at what I can do for now while I work out how to get everything I want going. And I'm going to start by putting together a brochure or something about how I put my wedding together. I thought it would be a good way to celebrate a 10 year anniversary and I've had a lot of questions from friends about how I did my themed wedding, so that's my project for the next few weeks. Wedding season is here, so maybe it'll even have some interest. I love parties, so my ideas could be themed for any party, not just a wedding.

Well there. I've sent my challenge for myself out into the net, and I will keep you up to date on how I'm doing. And when it's done, I'll have a copy for sale at my etsy site. The deadline will be my anniversary - July 21st. Appropriate, don't you think?!