Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The theme

So I've been doing a lot of research into the types of theme weddings there are and have come up with the most notable themes. I have 10. That does not mean there aren't more ideas, but these are the ones I will focus on so my entire package doesn't get too overwhelmed! The themes are sometimes interchangeable (meaning one theme may have some parts that will carry over to another).

The themes I have come up with are:
1) Medieval or Renaissance
2) Ancient Roman, Greek or Egyptian
3) Fairy Tale
4) Victorian (Old West and American Civil War)
5) Titanic (Edwardian)
6) Masquerade or Mardi Gras
7) French Revolution, American Colonial, Pirate
8) Viking, Scottish, Irish
9) Regency or Georgian (Jane Austen period)

10) Russian or Spy

Each of these should automatically conjure up an image which is why I have chosen these. There are many, many more. For instance, I left out holiday and seasonal for the obvious reason that those should be easy to create a theme. I also left out the decades of the 20th century from the 20s onward, but I think those decades are somewhat easy to build around. I have chosen the harder themes, where you may love the style but not have a clue as to how to create a celebration using that style.

The only theme I think could be troublesome would be the Fairy Tale theme, but I am making that a broad term - in that it encompasses the prince/princess idea. This could fall under Medieval/Renaissance or could have it's own with Arabian Nights, but I thought it might be simpler and easier to lump the idea into one category.

The only reason I have included Viking, Scottish, Irish, and Russian in as themes, and no other obvious nationalities, is the popularity in the styles. There are so many Irish and Scottish festivals all over the country. So even if you aren't Scottish or Irish you may want to have a wedding with those elements. Same for Viking, especially with the movie "How to Train Your Dragon" being released, the idea of a Viking wedding could be intriguing to some. Russian has it's own spot because unlike the other three, it has a very distinct feel. The Russian theme can be taken in two ways, as a traditional Doctor Zhivago or Anastasia, to the cold war era with spies and the like (glamor!)

  Next blog - locations!