Saturday, May 8, 2010

Invitations

If you read my last blog, you know that I challenged myself to get myself organized and put my book thing together for creating a themed wedding. There was a book that came out that is called "Storybook Weddings" that I am using as my base. It's a good idea in theory, but the book is just a collection of ideas aimed for the titillation or goofiness of a themed wedding instead of the wow or elegance factor. I think brides want to show their personality and creativity, not how campy their wedding could be.

So for my start I have gathered ideas for invitations. There are so many great invitations coming from the printers now - it's easier than ever to get a themed wedding invite. However, they are still very expensive. I created my own invitations for my wedding. They were very simple and ended up being only a few dollars a piece, that's including the cost of the paper, the return envelopes, the ink I used, the mailing tubes we purchase, and the cost to mail them. And the comments I received made the work I put in worth it! So, how did I create my own wedding invite for only a few dollars? I printed the invite out on parchment paper, cut the tops and bottoms with special scissors, and colored portions of the invite with metallic pens. Then I used the same font on the RSVP cards and envelopes. Then the invites were rolled, tied with ribbon, and placed into a mailing tube - like a missive used to be sent. The cost to mail each tube - 99 cents.

And after going over what I did to put my invites together, I wondered what other ways could an invitation be sent, showing the theme of the event, and yet be more memorable or personal than the mass produced invites. So that's what I'm working on now, describing the ways to create invites for themed events. And even if your event is a regular wedding with no specific theme, it's still the only day in our lives where we (the bride and groom) are the absolute center of attention. And what better way to show your personality as a couple than with the invitation?